While the exact number remains unknown, it’s estimated that there are more than 150 million active blogs on the Internet. This includes personal journals, political, entertainment, social, and even crossover e-commerce blogs. With so many blogs currently online — and more being created each day — many beginners struggle to differentiate themselves from their competitors.
Why Your Blog NEEDS To Stand Out
There are several reasons why you should create a unique blog rather than following in the footsteps of other bloggers. For starters, it gives visitors a reason to choose your blog over your competitors. If your blog looks the same as a dozen others, there’s really no incentive for visitors to access it. Granted, you may still receive a trickle of visitors, but few will make it a point to return to your blog in the future.
Another reason why your blog needs to stand out is because it encourages higher search engine rankings. Google, Yahoo and Bing place an emphasis on uniqueness, ranking unique websites higher than their counterpart. So if you’re looking to generate organic traffic, you need a blog that’s stands out in a sea of copycats.
An important step in creating a unique blog is to choose a premium theme. WordPress offers tens of thousands of themes, many of which are available for free. The problem with free themes, however, is that hundreds of other bloggers use them. You can often customize them by tweaking the code, but it’s better stick with a premium theme. Purchasing a premium theme backed by a strong group of developers will prove to be a smart investment that pays off in the long run.
In addition to using a premium theme, here are some other ways to make your blog stand out:
- Upload a favicon (these are the small icons displayed in a visitor’s web browser).
- Focus on creating unique, high-quality content that visitors actually want to read.
- Design a custom header that’s relevant to your blog’s niche.
- Create an “About Us” page describing who you are and why you decided to start a blog.
- Encourage visitors to comment on blog posts and articles.
- Avoid the use of cheesy generic stock photos. When uploading photos to your blog, use unique, personal photos instead.
How do you make your blog stand out? Let us know in the comments section below!